Arizona Skateparks

Jun 16, 2021

While this site is focused on Phoenix history and news, I thought that readers of this blog might enjoy a special feature about my recently-launched side project.

One hobby that I have always been drawn to is skateboarding. Arizona is home to a large number of free, public skateboard parks for riders to practice their skills.

The Jack Malmgren Skatepark in Sedona is one of more than 80 free skateparks in Arizona.


For more than 10 years, I have wanted to build a directory website that lists all of the skateparks in Arizona. While there are other skatepark directory sites, they are outdated and incomplete when it comes to hours, information, photos, and naming. Many of them rely on user-submitted information which is not consistent or checked for accuracy.

Over the years, there have been at least four prior occasions where I started and then stopped work on this project. In early 2021, I felt a burst of inspiration and enthusiasm for the skatepark website project. This time I pushed through and got the website up to a minimum viable product (MVP) version.

Currently there are 85 skateparks and BMX parks in Arizona that I have identified. While I do not yet have photos of each location, I wanted to get the website launched and then work on adding photos of the missing locations in a second phase.

This was a project that combined my different skill sets of website development, Arizona geography, and photography. It was really fun to work on and I am very proud of the new site!

If you or someone you know are looking for information on where to skate in Arizona, please visit www.arizonaskateparks.com for a comprehensive directory listing of Arizona Skateparks!





No comments:

 

©2008-2024 North Phoenix Blog. All Rights Reserved.