- Arizona is the 4th largest state in terms of area and 16th largest when it comes to population.
- The "Five C's" of Arizona are: cotton, cattle, citrus, climate, and copper.
- Arizona's highest point is Humphrey's Peak at 12,633 ft.
- Arizona became the 48th state on February 14th, 1912.
- Arizona is home to Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station (PVNGS), the largest nuclear power plant in the country.
- The tallest building in Arizona is the Chase Tower in downtown Phoenix. It is 40 stories tall and 483 feet high.
- The Phoenix Art Museum is the largest institution of visual art in the Southwestern US.
- The founder of Scientology, L. Ron Hubbard, lived in Phoenix during the 1950s.
- Phoenix is the largest city in the Mountain Time Zone.
- Arizona does not observe Daylight Savings Time (except for the Navajo Nation).
- There are 19 major flood-control dams in Arizona.
- Arizona's only Civil War battle took place near Picacho Peak in April of 1862.
- Arizona is home to 31 State Parks, 25 National Parks, 18 National Monuments, and 6 National Forests.
- Arizona has very strict laws regarding the ownership of exotic animals as pets.
- There are 2 driving tunnels: Deck Park Tunnel and Queen Creek Tunnel.
- There are at least 6 open pit mines in Arizona.
- Meteor Crater, 40 miles east of Winslow, is the best-preserved meteorite crater on earth.
- The "Mini Stack" is Arizona's busiest freeway interchange, with traffic averaging 300,000 vehicles per day.
- There are over 1,400 lane miles of freeway in the metro Phoenix area.
- Arizona is home to Biosphere II, which was once the largest airtight research facility in the world.
- Arizona is home to 11 EPA Superfund sites.
- Arizona's state reptile is the Arizona Ridge-nosed Rattlesnake.
- The official neckwear of Arizona is the Bolo Tie.
- The official State Gun of Arizona is the Colt single-action Army revolver (as of April 2011).
Feb 4, 2009
There is so much more to Arizona than just the Grand Canyon. Today's post is all about the weird and interesting things you may not know about Arizona:
Posted by Trevor at 6:54 PM